If you want a tropical-style bathroom, seashells and lots of sandy hues combined with blues may come to mind. In actuality, most tropical bathrooms are designed to be modern, and to give you the lush, clean feeling of the tropics. This doesn’t mean you can’t have those beach-inspired hues, but (generally) tropical bathrooms don’t usually feature loud or bright colors.
For tropical bathroom ideas, keep reading. We’ll show you how to pull off this aesthetic in a way that creates a clean, natural and restful environment.
The Hallmarks of Tropical Bathroom Designs
When doing a tropical bathroom remodel, remember that the focus is on the environment and mood. In essence, you’re recreating the atmosphere you’d likely find at a tropical resort.
Some of the details on which to focus include:
- Minimalist design choices: When choosing tropical bathroom products such as the tub or vanity, keep it simple. Avoid ornate or antique-styled products. Instead, go for clean lines and graceful curves.
- Design with modernism in mind: These bathrooms nearly always have a contemporary feel. As mentioned above, avoid the ornate and choose simple shapes and finishes. This extends to your lighting, cabinet hardware and other finishing touches.
- Color palette is key: These bathrooms are not typically bold and bright. Instead, they feature lots of white, blue, beige, green — and sometimes small splashes of orange, red or yellow — all in muted tones.
- Decor is where you will pull the theme together: If possible, let in as much light as you can through breezy curtains. Add lots of greenery — through plants decorating the bathroom, or a gorgeous view of your landscape outside. Keep clutter to a minimum by organizing bath products, towels and other necessities in cabinets or other storage solutions.
In general, focus on creating a clean, bright and inviting space with strong callbacks to nature. This can be achieved through plants and natural wood elements — including bamboo, volcanic rock, etc.
What Are the Benefits of a Tropical Bathroom Remodel?
There are a surprising number of reasons why a tropical bathroom style stands out above other styles, such as classic farmhouse or Victorian bathrooms. Here are some perks you’ll probably enjoy most about this design style:
- Provides an in-home retreat: Because tropical bathrooms tend to be reminiscent of resorts, they offer an amazing space to rest, relax and de-stress. They’re inviting, invigorating — the perfect place for your spa day.
- Easy to clean: Since the primary focus is on smooth finishes, clean lines and lack of clutter, you won’t be spending hours cleaning and maintaining ornately scrolled wood and other decorative elements.
- Including plants helps to freshen the air: If you enjoy keeping tropical plants, they will likely thrive in the humid environment of a bathroom.
- These bathrooms allow you to go as modern as you’d like in the design — no need to work around a classical theme. That means you can install as much recessed lighting as desired — or even amenities such as a sound system in your shower. You can also skip the claw-foot tub and go with a more Roman-styled bath or even a spa tub, and it won’t feel out of place.
Ready to check out tropical bathroom products? Here at Modern Bathroom, you’ll find no shortage of current designs that will work beautifully for your aesthetic. Feel free to browse our products for even more ideas.