There is a misconception about the industrial style that it can give a space a heavy, dark, unfinished look. The truth, however, is that a well-designed carries a chic appeal. These bathrooms are modern and sophisticated, and with unique features and composition they bring plenty of visual interest.
It can be a bit confusing to figure out how to fashion a room after this trend — that’s why we’ve prepared this guide. Read on to learn about the hallmarks and advantages of an industrial-style bathroom.
Characteristics of Industrial Bathroom Designs
If you’re looking for industrial bathroom ideas, the focus is often on creating an urban feel. This trend features clean lines and sharp contrasts. When putting together an industrial bathroom, here are some of the items to bring into the theme:
- Use the color black: It can be incorporated into tile, vanities, woodwork and more. You can even find unique industrial bathroom products — such as black tubs — to help draw a sharp contrast.
- Make metal the star: Stainless steel is a popular choice for frames, cabinet hardware and other fixtures to help give the space that classic industrial look.
- Subway tile is in: It doesn’t have to be the traditional rectangular tile, either. You can also choose pieces that have the same finish as a subway tile but create visual interest with hexagonal or other patterns.
- Go rustic: Rough concrete walls, exposed brick and original wood floors do much to give bathrooms an urban feel.
- Amp it up with distressed finishes: Vanities, shelving, metal with a patina and other distressed items will help pull the look together.
Industrial bathrooms typically place strong emphasis on geometry. Focus on giving the space lots of clean, square lines — but don’t hesitate to soften sharp angles with a curving tub or rounded sink basin.
The Benefits of an Industrial-Style Bathroom
There are some surprising benefits to this particular style that go beyond a sophisticated look. Industrial bathrooms:
- Require less cleaning: Finishes in these bathrooms are often matte or distressed, which means you won’t need to spend lots of time polishing streaks out of high-gloss fixtures.
- Highlight a home’s character: By accentuating existing architectural elements such as original plumbing or exposed brick, you can proudly showcase your house’s unique charms.
- Keep costs low: An industrial bathroom remodel can be cost effective. Perhaps you won’t need to spend money on new flooring if the original floors can be used. Maybe you can save by opting to leave brick, cement or cinderblock exposed rather than covering it with drywall.
Industrial bathrooms are a lot of fun to design, especially since they give you a chance to work with details unique to your home. If you’re ready to start shopping for modern industrial bathroom products, you’ll find everything you need at Modern Bathroom. Browse our products for ideas or reach out to us with questions.
The Mediterranean design aesthetic is derived from the countries stretching along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. It is sometimes referred to as Spanish Modern or Tuscan style. This fashion was popular in the United States in the early 20th century and is making a resurgence now. To incorporate this trend into your next remodel, check out some of the Mediterranean bathroom ideas below.
The Key Characteristics of a Mediterranean-Style Bathroom
Inspiration from nature is a key component of Mediterranean bathroom designs. Here are some suggestions to give your washroom that coastal feel.
- Earth-based tiles: Tiles are some of the most important features in Mediterranean design. Usually, these bathrooms include terracotta tiles in warm colors. The floors tend to be straightforward and traditional, while wall tiles might be more ornate.
- Bright and bold colors: A Mediterranean color scheme is drawn from a warm palette, bringing to mind sunny days spent at the shore. This means a lot of yellow, orange, red and white. Add a touch of turquoise to evoke a sense of the sea.
- Curves and arches: Straight and sharp edges don’t belong in a Mediterranean-style bathroom room. If possible, the doorway, shower and mirror should be arched or curved.
- Vintage and new: Don’t be afraid to highlight pieces from different eras. Your bathroom can have a polished marble vanity with a rustic chair, or an elegant mirror with an old-fashioned chandelier.
- Natural wood: Wood cabinets and benches add to the natural feel of the Mediterranean aesthetic.
- Ornate lights: Hang something eye-catching — such as large lanterns or star-shaped pendants — from the ceiling. To stay in line with the natural feel, try to find lights made with materials such as antiqued glass, wrought iron or hammered metals.
- Vessel sinks: A vessel sink sits on top of the counter and often comes in a bowl shape, although other shapes are also available. They are typically easy to install and can increase the countertop space.
Why Choose a Mediterranean-Style Bathroom?
There are countless styles to choose from when remodeling your bathroom. Here are a few reasons to go with a Mediterranean theme.
- The design calls to mind images of nature and spending time at the beach. This can help you feel calm and relaxed after a long day, especially if you can’t travel to the Mediterranean.
- The eclectic quality of the Mediterranean style allows you to mix new furniture with old. Combine items you already have to create a unique design that sets your bathroom apart. Plus, you can easily change the decor every now and then to keep the room fresh.
- A remodel doesn’t have to be expensive. Simply painting the walls with Mediterranean-inspired colors could go a long way.
Now that you have some ideas, it’s time to start your Mediterranean bathroom remodel. You can find Mediterranean bathroom products and more ideas at Modern Bathroom.
The mid-century modern aesthetic has a lot of history behind it. It’s an architectural and design style that was prominent from the 1930s through the 1960s — and it has become a perennial favorite, which is why a mid-century bathroom remodel is so inviting.
There are certain hallmarks that you’ll need to know if you want to create a mid-century modern-style bathroom. Read on to find out those characteristics and advantages to this design.
Characteristics of a Mid-Century Modern Bathroom
One of the foremost concepts to keep in mind is that this design style focuses on simplicity, sleek and clean lines, and elegance. Here are some of the specifics:
- Mid-century modern design often draws on natural elements, which means that wood finishes, stone and leather can help you pull the look together.
- Vanities and cabinetry should be sleek and square rather than ornate. Similarly, simple hardware is best.
- Where tile is concerned, the idea is to keep the floor classic. Subway tile could work, as well as square or rectangular slates. You could incorporate simple geometric designs, too, if you want to add more visual interest to the room.
- When shopping for mid-century bathroom products, look for furniture such as freestanding tubs that make a statement, sleek light fixtures, and clean countertops featuring built-in basins.
- Color palettes generally revolve around white or light walls and medium wood shades, though dark wood is sometimes used, too. Accent colors such as nature-inspired greens or dusky blues can give the bathroom a classic, elegant feeling.
What Are the Advantages of Mid-Century Modern Bathrooms?
There are quite a few advantages to this design style, which is one of the reasons it has maintained its popularity through the decades. Some of these advantages include:
- Classic and timeless appeal: With a mid-century bathroom, it’ll be just as stylish a decade from now as it is today.
- Great versatility: Options for colors and finishes are virtually limitless. It is easy to find sinks, vanities, tubs, and mirrors that can fit into the mid-century modern design.
- Easy to upgrade: A few years from now, you can change the look of your mid-century modern bathroom by updating the accent colors, accessories, hardware and other small features.
As you can see, there are a variety of reasons that mid-century modern design has remained popular for close to a century. It’s a beautiful aesthetic that can work well in almost any home. When you’re ready to find mid-century bathroom products for your remodel, stop by Modern Bathroom to browse our wide selection of furniture, accessories and other decor.