Whether you are thinking about selling your home soon or are just curious about the return on investment for a bathroom remodel, it’s wise to investigate how much value a remodel adds to a property. Did you know a bathroom renovation is considered the most popular home improvement, according to a 2019 report? More and more buyers want updated bathrooms, so renovations are becoming increasingly common for anyone hoping to sell.
If you want to boost property value for the immediate or more distant future, is a bathroom remodel worth it? To help answer this question, here’s a look at the value you can add with a bathroom remodel, specific products and fixtures that offer the greatest return, and tips for applying these updates to the bathroom.
The Value You Can Add to Your Home
Do bathroom remodels increase home value? In many cases, yes. While the amount will depend on the local housing market, a bathroom remodel can be a great way to improve a home’s salability, while making it more useable for your household until the time comes to sell.
In terms of what remodels make the biggest difference to value, here are some keys to remember:
- Repairing problems improves home value. Is there a plumbing leak or non-working light fixture? Fixing those issues will yield a positive return. At the least, it should prevent buyers from being turned off by repairs they would have to tackle.
- Updating worn-out items is always worthwhile. From damaged floors to an outdated vanity, you can’t go wrong when replacing fixtures.
- Make the bath more functional for a bigger return. If your upgrade will make the bathroom more usable, it’s an instant selling point. Examples of functional renovations include switching from a single vanity to a double, installing a larger shower, creating usable storage space and/or putting in a seat in the shower.
Luxury Products With the Greatest ROI
How much value does a bathroom remodel add? It varies. In some cases, you can recoup anywhere between 50% to 66% of the costs in the increased resale value. (In white-hot markets, this could be closer to 100%.)
While upgrades help make a home more attractive to buyers, there are certain products and fixtures that tend to have the best return on investment:
- A double sink
- A shower seat
- Heated floors
- A whirlpool bath or steam shower
- Efficient storage space
- New plumbing fixtures
- Vanity upgrades — including faucets, cabinetry and sinks
- Fresh paint
- New floors
- Energy-efficient upgrades
Tips for How to Do a Bathroom Remodel to Sell a House
If renovating for your enjoyment — with no plans to move — feel free to make bold, trendy choices. If, on the other hand, you want to sell sooner rather than later, think about renovations from the perspective of resale value. With that in mind, stick to neutral colors that will appeal to the largest number of buyers. Look for ways to make the bathroom feel bigger, such as using glass shower doors and brighter light fixtures. Keeping prospective buyers in mind is key to creating a worthwhile renovation.
Bottom line: Does renovating a bathroom add value? Yes, especially when that renovation is done strategically. To guide your efforts for the best return, use the information and tips above. Then, find quality bathroom products at great prices via Modern Bathroom. From bathroom vanities to showers/tubs, we provide brand-name products at affordable prices to serve you.