Most people enjoy a clean home — yet most people dread cleaning the bathroom. Whether you hate this task because of the dirty floors, the clogged toilet or scum in the shower, you’re not alone.
The good news is, bathroom cleaning can be less of a chore. Whether you’re talking about daily habits to simplify your routine or DIY recipes for effective cleaning products, here are eight hacks that can make cleaning the bathroom a little easier.
1. Set up a cleaning station. One of the best ways to keep the bathroom clean is to prepare. Rather than storing all your regular cleaning products — cloths, scrub brushes, spray bottles, etc. — in another place in your home, set up a cleaning caddy under the sink or in a cabinet. When cleaning tools are within reach, they’re easier to use day after day.
2. Shine your faucets with baby oil. Simple, everyday tasks such as washing your face, washing your hands and brushing your teeth can cover your sink with water spots in no time. While water spots aren’t a big deal, they are evidence that your bathroom hasn’t been cleaned in a while. More than that, they tend to make a sink look dingy. What should you do? Simply dab a cloth with baby oil and rub it onto your faucet. This allows you to remove spots and unveil a sparkling shine.
3. Say goodbye to soap scum with a dryer sheet. Is your shower covered in scum from daily use? If so, here’s a trick that might surprise you: Take a dryer sheet, and wipe it all over the shower walls and doors. If one sheet doesn’t remove the scum, wet another, scrub, and keep rinsing and repeating until the scum is gone. Once the surfaces are scum-free, be sure to rinse them well to finish.
4. Combine vinegar and water for a strong DIY cleaner. Skip the fancy (and expensive) bathroom cleaning products. Instead, combine equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray this mixture onto bathroom tiles and grout, the surface of your tub and other surfaces that need to be cleaned. Let them dry completely and rinse the dirt.
5. When in doubt, try baking soda. For especially tough spots or stains, combine water and baking soda, and scrub the area with an old toothbrush. This easy, natural cleaning solution can be strong enough for even the toughest black spots.
6. Scrub the tub with grapefruit. Cut a grapefruit in half and sprinkle the cut side of one half with salt. Wet the tub and use the salted grapefruit to scrub the surfaces. Combined, the juice and the salt will help break down scum and dirt. When you’re done, rinse the tub thoroughly and enjoy the bright, fresh citrus smell the cleaner provided.
7. Unclog a drain with a simple trick. Anyone with long hair or a high-traffic bathroom knows the frustration of a clogged drain. The next time your sink or shower is clogged, drop one or two Alka-Seltzer® tablets down the drain. Then, pour a cup of white vinegar into the drain. Wait for a few minutes to let this soak. Afterward, pour boiling water down the drain. Your water should be free-flowing again!
8. Remove the mildew smell from towels with hot water and vinegar. There’s nothing like the smell of mildew on your bathroom towels. When yours have sat in moisture too long and pick up the notorious odor, here’s what to do: Soak them in the hottest possible water, with a cup of vinegar. Afterward, run them through the washing machine. Use an extra rinse cycle if your machine has the option. Then, let your towels air-dry. If they still have a slight odor, repeat the process.
No matter why you dislike cleaning the bathroom, you can make the job a little less burdensome by employing the right cleaning hacks. Use the eight ideas above to scour the tub, clean up scum or remove mildew faster and more effectively.
When it’s more than cleaning that you’re after, and you’re renovating a bathroom and looking for new fixtures, come to Modern Bathroom. Our site offers the best in factory-direct pricing for bathroom products of all kinds. Browse our online catalog to see for yourself!