Getting the chance to remodel a bathroom is an exciting prospect. Whether you’ve been making do with your old bathroom for years and are finally tackling the bathroom remodel or just moved into a new home and are ready to change the bathroom right away, now you get to create the modern bathroom design you’ve always wanted. You’ll pick the floors, the walls, the shower, the vanity, all in order to give yourself the beautiful, functional space that makes daily routines more enjoyable. Before shopping for sinks and bathroom faucets, however, the first thing you’ll want to do is often the hardest — find a good contractor.
In terms of home remodeling projects, finding the right general contractor is one of the most important — yet often most difficult — parts of the job. How do you know who’s trustworthy? Who will get the job done right? Are there certain qualities to look for when you’re exploring potential hires?
To help answer these questions, here’s a look at five of the most important qualities good general contractors possess:
- Have strong references: Listen to recommendations from your friends, read reviews online and ask for references from anyone you consider hiring for a job. When a contractor is reputable, he or she should be able to provide a list of past clients, as well as glowing testimonials. On top of the references your contractor provides, however, also do your own due diligence by looking at your state’s consumer protection agency and the Better Business Bureau to see if any outstanding disputes (warning signs) exist.
- Communicate clearly: Save yourself the headache of never knowing how the project timeline has changed or what new expenses have come up, and pick a contractor who makes communication a priority. You can test this quality both by talking to past clients and by paying attention to the way the contractor deals with you upfront. What’s the payment schedule, for example? What kind of timeline gets discussed? Are your agreements in writing or done on a handshake? If your contractor is willing to take initiative to clearly communicate with you now, that’s a good sign.
- Listen. Just as important as being able to communicate about changes and updates is being able to listen. A contractor who takes over a job without checking in with a client is not a contractor you want to handle your bathroom remodel. This, too, is a quality you can look for in initial meetings and in past client’s reviews.
- Hold appropriate licenses and insurance: Ask to see the contractor’s proof of licensure and insurance before starting any kind of project together. These qualifications are more than mere formalities; they protect you in case of unexpected injuries or accidents that occur on the job.
- Possess multiple skills. A general contractor needs a wide breadth of skills. More than just being able to lay flooring, he or she needs to understand what goes into plumbing, painting, electrical work, windows and more. Ask about competencies and pay attention to what skills each potential contractor has. You want a contractor who’s able and willing to handle any part of your project, as needed.
Finding the right contractor can seem daunting, but when you know what qualities to look for, the process becomes a little simpler. Once you find the right person for the job, the next step to a winning modern bathroom design is finding products — so come to Modern Bathroom for the best prices, a large selection and free shipping straight to you!
Shop Our Catalog Now!