When it comes to remodeling projects, the bathroom is usually given priority. This may be because it sees the most visitors and should appeal to the comfort of the user. However, if you’ve noticed that bugs are your most frequent guests, the tranquility and enjoyment of your restroom might be in jeopardy.
Whether it’s cockroaches, ants, spiders or other insects, these creepy crawlies love the lavatory for a number of reasons. Don’t worry — there is a solution. We’ve compiled a few tips to help you get rid of bugs in the bathroom.
Why Are Bugs Attracted to Bathroom Moisture?
Contrary to popular belief, floral-scented soaps and potpourri are probably not the main cause of bugs in your bathroom — though they are great decoration. Actually, most common house bugs are attracted to moisture.
Bugs feed on organic matter and thrive in humid areas. When water is splashed on the floor or counters, the accumulated condensation could lead to mold. Additionally, poor ventilation can make liquid and soap residue stick to your surfaces, giving bugs a reason to come back. Reducing the splashing and wiping up drips should help keep the bathroom dryer and bug-free.
Keeping Bugs Out
If your bathroom has been serving as a bug hotel lately, rest assured there are ways to put an end to it. Since these critters enjoy the moisture, it’s best to address any leaks or mold issues first. Making cleanliness a priority could make all the difference.
Once a bug finds its way into the crevices and openings of the washroom, it can be difficult to keep others from following. If you’re wondering how to get rid of insects in the bathroom, try these tips.
- Keep the bathroom dry — Wipe counters regularly to avoid water buildup. Stagnant water can also sit in the curves of dormant pipes. To keep bugs out of the bathroom drain, mix half a cup of salt and baking soda and flush it with one cup of white vinegar.
- DIY a natural bug repellant — In a good-sized bowl or jar, mix equal parts sugar, water and white vinegar, adding about 5-10 drops of dish soap. You could also pour boiling water into your drains once or twice a day to reduce the number of flies that may be sticking around — but be very careful.
- Seal openings — Fix any cracks or gaps around the walls, especially those near the floor or ceiling. Replace damaged window screens as soon as possible. Broken tiles or splits in the floor can store moisture as well, so it’s best to mend those in a timely manner.
- Upgrade old fixtures and furniture — If your bathroom furniture is old and run down, it may be time for an upgrade. Carpenter ants eat old wood, and other insects can spread dangerous pathogens. If bugs have set up camp in your furniture, replacing it could solve more problems than you think.
Modern Bathroom Can Help
If you have unwelcome visitors crawling around the bathroom, use it as an opportunity for a makeover. Modern Bathroom has an extensive inventory of fixtures that are sure to suit your needs. Whether you’re replacing the cabinets, a sink or another appliance, we can help transform your space into the long-lasting, luxurious bathroom of your dreams. Browse our collection today and trust Modern Bathroom for your next bathroom renovation.
While master bathrooms and kitchens tend to get the bulk of attention for home remodeling projects, there are good reasons why you should make the guest bathroom a higher priority. Have you considered how much an updated guest bathroom can add to a home’s value, for example? Likewise, do you know what it’s like to be an overnight guest using the space?
If you remodel the guest bathroom, it could be a real game-changer — for your loved ones, guests and any prospective buyers who tour the home. That’s why this often-overlooked room doesn’t deserve to be neglected any longer. To inspire you, here’s a closer look at three of the biggest reasons why it will pay to upgrade your guest bathroom — and soon.
- It welcomes overnight guests. Whether you have a friend passing through town or extended family members staying over the holidays, you want to make guests feel welcome. Nothing says hospitality like a guest bathroom renovation filled with smart improvements and a few special touches. Make it easier for visitors to enjoy their stay— and feel at home — by giving them their own beautiful, private washroom.
- It adds functionality to the household. There are quite a few undeniable perks of having a second renovated bath, especially if you have a large household. If the guest bathroom is as well-appointed as the primary bathroom, nobody has to fight over space or coordinate shower schedules. Make your home more peaceful and functional by giving the guest lavatory some love. Likewise, if you or any of your family members have a disability that requires special accommodations, completing a guest bathroom renovation is the perfect way to integrate them.
- It boosts your home’s value. Even if you don’t want to sell right now, upgrading the guest bath is a great way to increase a home’s value for the future. Prospective buyers will appreciate the benefit of an additional washroom in the layout. A beautiful bathroom can make your home more attractive and provide one more incentive to buy.
Updating a guest bathroom can be as simple or involved as you want it to be. Even small steps can make a big difference in your home. Take a space from dull to delightful with a simple paint job, for example. At the very least, you could repair any leaky faucets or broken tiles. Little touches such as plush towels, attractive toiletries and easy-to-find paper products are always helpful. That said, the more attention you give this part of the home, the bigger the benefits. If you’re ready to renovate, come shop Modern Bathroom today for quality products at great prices.
Do you ever feel like you don’t have enough storage in the bathroom? It can be frustrating to dig through drawer after drawer just to find a Q-tip or a certain shade of lipstick. Take heart: No matter how big or small your space, you can make the most of it with the proper organization.
It doesn’t have to be a huge investment, either; there are plenty of clever bathroom storage ideas you can implement without spending a dime. In fact, with the right DIY bathroom storage solutions and smart bathroom organization tips, you can transform your washroom into a more functional, enjoyable space.
To inspire you, here’s a look at some great DIY bathroom storage ideas. Not only are these bathroom storage tips feasible, but they’re also a great way to showcase your style and customize your space.
- Take inventory of your belongings. The first step in organizing is realizing what you have. Remove everything from the shelves, cabinets, drawers and cubbies and take stock. What is yours, and what belongs to someone else? Are there duplicate items that might be shared?
- Declutter. Based on the inventory, choose items to discard, donate or keep elsewhere in your home. Do you truly need four bars of soap in the closet, for example? Could you consolidate that sprawling makeup stash into a single bag? Minimize what you store in the bathroom — pare it down to what you use regularly.
- Look for new storage solutions. Take a good, hard look at your current bathroom layout. Have you established logical storage spaces, or could you add a shelf above the toilet? Is there room for a stand-alone cabinet? If you can add more surface area, it can be easier to fit your items.
- Group similar items together. Once you’ve whittled down to the necessities and identified available storage possibilities, the next step is to organize. Group like items together. Rather than keeping some towels in the vanity and others in the closet, for example, designate a single place — maybe a wall hook or shelf — to put them all. Then, anytime you need one, you know exactly where to go.
- Display your best accessories. Last but not least, have fun decorating your newly organized washroom. Personalize it with themed bottles or trendy bathroom baskets. Any highly visible areas — open shelves, spacious countertops — should house only the products you like to look at each day.
When it comes to DIY bathroom storage, there is a lot you can do on your own. If you want to add a few creative solutions that make better use of your room, however, explore the quality bathroom accessories at Modern Bathroom.
In modern bathroom construction, the transitional style is trending. Take one glance at an interior design blog or magazine, browse Instagram and Pinterest, and you’ll likely see numerous examples of one of the most popular bathroom fads in the marketplace.
So, what is it? How is it different from other styles? How might you incorporate transitional bathroom ideas into your space? Here’s a brief look into this trendy design aesthetic.
What Is a Transitional Bathroom?
Part of the reason you may not be familiar with the term “transitional bathroom” is because it can have several meanings. Most commonly, though, it describes a blend of traditional and contemporary styles. Think clean lines, but with a warm sensitivity; minimalist features alongside homey, comfortable ones. To further explain, here are some common characteristics of transitional bathroom designs:
- Easy accessibility: As more people are living longer in their homes, accessible bathrooms are quickly becoming vital. Fortunately, these bathroom features have multiple benefits. A built-in shower seat with a handheld showerhead makes bathing more comfortable for elderly or disabled people while simultaneously adding luxury and convenience. Likewise, the same grab bars that protect against slips and falls can function as extra towel bars.
- Luxury: Another commonality among transitional bathroom remodel projects is the spa-like vibe. Luxury is front and center with soaking tubs, saunas, chandeliers, heated floors and beautifully papered or tiled walls that create visual focal points.
- High-end countertops: One place the transitional aesthetic makes itself obvious is with the countertops. Transitional bathroom products feature materials such as quartz, quartzite, granite and marble.
- Soothing color palettes. Expect transitional bathrooms to have a relaxing, soothing atmosphere, right down to the color scheme. Popular choices include white, gray, beige, silver and deep blue.
While these examples demonstrate common attributes of the transitional style, there is still a lot of flexibility. Some designs lean more traditional; others, modern. The point is that these spaces can be personalized to fit your taste.
Benefits of Transitional Style
What accounts for the widespread appeal of the transitional trend? Why are so many bathrooms falling into this category? Here are a few benefits that make this design so popular:
- Flexibility: With so much fluidity in the idea of a transitional bathroom, there is leeway for plenty of preferences and personality. You can pick and choose features of the traditional and contemporary modes, making the combination work for you.
- Familiarity mixed with modernity: In many ways, transitional taste blends the best of two worlds. You can have the timeless features that hint at a bygone era alongside the modern elements that define today’s bathrooms.
- Comfort and convenience: Because transitional bathroom designs tend to emphasize luxury and accommodate older homeowners, they provide one of the most comfortable and convenient bathroom experiences.
If you’re considering updating your bathroom to incorporate transitional design elements, come to Modern Bathroom. As a leading online provider of quality bathroom products, we offer a variety of transitional vanities we’re sure you’ll love. Shop our selection today.
What is a contemporary bathroom? Unlike traditional-style bathrooms, contemporary designs are not focused on reiterating what has been around for decades. They emphasize what is hip here and now. There is less of the age-old, timeless style and more of the latest, up-and-coming, interesting aesthetic. Filled with current materials and products, contemporary bathrooms tend to be simple, sleek and even unadorned. Expect clean lines, sharp angles and products such as the newest synthetic flooring or plastic fixtures.
If you are interested in contemporary bathroom products and finding ways to work them into your renovation, here is a closer look at what distinguishes this kind of style and why it is appealing.
Characteristics of Contemporary Bathroom Designs
While the category of contemporary bathroom design is a broad one, certain features set it apart. For example, most contemporary-style bathrooms will feature the following:
- The latest materials: Instead of sticking to old classics such as hardwoods or stone, contemporary bathrooms tend to incorporate newer, cutting-edge materials. This might mean laminate floors or newly designed plastic fixtures.
- Sleek, angular designs: Generally speaking, contemporary bathrooms focus on spare, minimalist designs. These include angular vanities, concrete walls and/or pedestal sinks. Not only does this look highlight the up-to-date vibe of a contemporary bath, but it also saves space and maximizes efficiency.
- Storage space: Part of the appeal of contemporary style is less clutter, so it is important to have plenty of storage space for tucking away toiletries and linens. In contemporary baths, look for countertops cleared of any products, with empty spaces expanding the roomy feel.
Benefits of a Contemporary Bathroom Remodel
Contemporary bathrooms are trendy, of-the-minute and attention-grabbing. They are also featured in many modern design blogs and magazines. Here are some of the benefits that make them a favorite for today’s homeowners:
- Smart use of space: Whether you have a small bathroom or just want to make the most of your large or average-size one, contemporary design is a good way to go. Because it emphasizes an open and airy feel, this style often makes a room feel larger than it is.
- Versatility in design: The simplified nature of contemporary design makes it adaptable to many different preferences and tastes. Likewise, it is easy to change up the room with a few accessories at any time.
- A blank canvas: Essentially, a contemporary bathroom is your own private canvas, allowing you to decorate and design exactly as you like, within the confines of being clean and minimalistic. This is appealing both to those who are still defining their tastes and those who have strong preferences about home decor.
If you are planning a bathroom remodel and looking to bring it into current times, let ModernBathroom.com supply you with the best in bathroom products! Shop our selection of contemporary faucets to outfit your sink with simple, bold style, and browse our site for all kinds of contemporary bathroom ideas.